4 ohm mid/woofer, 8 ohm tweeter, single capacitor for tweeter HPF

Hi,

This is not for a hi-fi or music listening application, but rather for a "toy".

I understand that if I had an 8 ohm mid/woofer and an 8 ohm tweeter, and I didn't want a real crossover - just a single capacitor for the tweeter HPF - if I used a 3.3uF cap, the HPF would be at about 6KHz.

If I instead used a 4 ohm mid/woofer with the 8 ohm tweeter and the 3.3uF cap, would the HPF frequency change, or would I just get my desired effect of the 8 ohm tweeter not being as loud relative to the 4 ohm woofer as it would (in my theory) be, relative to the 8 ohm woofer?

Thanks.

Joined 2011
Exactly, in a parallel crossover, as you are using.
Then you may have to match the tweeter level to the woofer by adding a series resistor, which then may require a smaller capacitor value.
Unless you use an L-pad attenuator, which also has a shunt resistor in parallel with the tweeter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Understand that the "eight ohm" rating of that tweeter is a nominal value, an average...but the actual impedance in any particular frequency range may be much different. If you have an impedance curve to look at for that tweeter, see what the actual impedance is around the frequency range of choice, and figure the proper cap value from that...and if you use a series resistor to pad the output level downward, add that resistance to your calculations.

Mike

Tweeters as insensitive as a mid or woofer, are very rare. Tweeters almost always need to be attenuated to bring them down to the mid-bass level. So the use of a high impedance tweeter is a step in the right direction, but probably not enough. You probably still need to attenuate it. A woofer will not be damaged by exposing it to high frequencies, but it will do bad things with those frequencies that you probably want to avoid. A good cross-over is a collection of carefully measured hacks tailored to the drivers you are using. A cross-over designed for resistor loads is not very useful.