8" woofers 40-250hz

@TheoSweden, I agree completely. Any speaker with an f3 anywhere near 50Hz will sound very good on almost all music. Would a lower range sound better? Yes, for some music. But one will be very surprised how very good a 50Hz lower limit can sound. I make this statment from experience.
Naaahhh.... that's bookshelf speaker level :LOL: We need 20-25Hz as the lower limit... with full power.... the air should be moved, so it feels like the music "breathes". Most smaller speakers can never do this. They can play loud, but you never feel a thing - physically ;)

Reactions: 1 user
So.. I now got the cabinets home. Got a really nice feeling when I first saw them! Really nice in reality, more heavy and more solid than I expected :) :) :)
I think I stiffen them up more with a few (1 or 2) walls in every section mor isnt needed.
I have some plans for the outer layer and that will make them stiffer to.

I measured the boxes with some chips for parcels (dont know the english word) and that wasnt as fun. Only around 53 litres in the upper and lower sections and 32 litre in the middle.
Not yet sure now much space the Purifi speakers need, but if possible its easy to take some of that volume from the middle section.
What is the cut-out diameter for the 6 woofers?

Wavecor SW223BD fits pretty well.... Cut-out is 223.5 mm. So that require some work to fit. It's a high mass driver and low sensitivity. But with 6 driver per side.... you should get plenty loud.
3 x 8 ohm drivers in parallel = 2.66 ohm. Do that again at the bottom, and you get around 5 ohm together, for your amplifier.
Around 260 Euro a piece.

Skærmbillede 2024-02-29 202136.png

Reactions: 1 user
@digitalthor Thanks for the simulation!
Yeah they are probably really good and seems to work in the small volume.. 12 drivers are quite much money for me since our Swedish monopoly-money is useless these days.
Im still interested in what some PA speakers can do, but fully understand what you sayd before about that they arnt magical just because they are PA speakers. :D

Im still interested in what some PA speakers can do, but fully understand what you sayd before about that they arnt magical just because they are PA speakers. :D
PA drivers are really good at what they do. And that Eighteen sound driver is really good. I just doubt that it can go low enough - even if you push it with tons of power and EQ - and have 12 of them - because who ever tried that.... do you want to be first ;)
Maybe the Sica subwoofer driver.... it's 130 Euro and 8 ohm:
https://en.toutlehautparleur.com/speaker-sica-8s2-5cp-8-ohm-8-inch.html

If you only measure in the listening position - you could end up with way too much high frequency, since those fall with distance, as explained earlier on.
No, thats completely wrong...! If you measure at the listening position you can balance/mix the sound exactly as you want it ( flat, bass boost, presence boost what ever you want) ... But if you measure at the 1 meter reference sensitivity distance you will end up with a very bass heavy sound as I detailed in my previous post.

Only around 53 litres in the upper and lower sections and 32 litre in the middle.
Is that 53 liters in lower plus another 53 litres in upper bass chambers ie a total of 106 litres to share between 6 bass drivers?
If so thats great... You will have a lot of flexibility when it comes to driver Q / loading / sensitivity / extension.
If its 53 liters between all 6 bass drivers then you will be restricted to higher Q (6.5 to 7.5 ish?) and lower sensitivity.
I will do som sims shortly, pls confirm cabinet volume.
Cheers
A.

What do you think of this driver? https://faitalpro.com/en/products/LF_Loudspeakers/product_details/datasheet.php?id=101030204

Could you do a simulation to compare the two? or comment what you think about the Faital PRO..

Theo
Here is the like for like Sim comparing the Eighteen Sound and Faital Pro... Very close on paper... Not so close in sound though!
1709245073049.png

Using the same input power and same Q, the Faital Pro has of course the same excursion (6 of either drivers will have the same Sd) and almost the same power curve/extension... The biggest difference on the graph is that the Faital Pro can be squeezed into a much smaller cabinet volume.
How audible will this be...? Not significant in my opinion.

But, what will be very audible and very clearly measurable and easy to show on a good CSD plot is the fact that the heavy coned Faital Pro (40.8g) Vs the light coned Eighteen Sound (17g) will sound muddy/blurry with less dynamics and impact compared to the Eighteen Sound driver.

Some people prefer the "audiophile" heavy coned sound type compared to the more "Pro driver" orientated sound with lighter cones... Just like some prefer ported/vented/BLH/ transmission line etc which are all time delayed / time distorted compared to a sealed low Q (ideally around 5 or 5.5) driver loading.
For me its a no brainer and easy to hear the superior life like sound from a Low Mms / High Bl ratio, fabric surround Pro driver in sealed low Q loading Vs the rest...
YMMV!

@Hydrogen Alex Yes its 106 litres total, can be 115-120 if needed.

Thanks!
Great!
I would recommend using the Eighteen Sound 100% with a Q of 0.55... This greatly increases sensitivity ie now with just 100 watts input power (the driver well within its power limit of 280 watts) and still just 2.75mm cone travel you maintain 106 dB at 40 Hz from 1 speaker at 1 meter. A pair of speakers will give 109 dB before room gain... Thats very loud indeed!
The build quality of the Eighteen Sound is world class and will give many years of reliable low distortion accurate sound... Enjoy!
1709245515940.png

No, thats completely wrong...! If you measure at the listening position you can balance/mix the sound exactly as you want it ( flat, bass boost, presence boost what ever you want) ... But if you measure at the 1 meter reference sensitivity distance you will end up with a very bass heavy sound as I detailed in my previous post.
I measure at around 1m to get above 500Hz to work - midrange and tweeter integration especially. Then I measure at the listening position to get the bass right.
I have to obey the laws of physics, when it comes to wavelengths, measurement techniques and in-room absorption - according to rising frequencies.
But let Theo do like he wants. If he ever has the need to ask anything - then we can analyze the problem and take it from there :)