ACP+ vs. Wayne's Linestage

Dear fellow builders,
I am struggling to describe the differences between my ACP+ and Wayne's Linestage Preamp. Using the same Mark Johnson VRDN LPS for both of them. I prefer the ACP+ for experimental electronic music but I am not sure why.. maybe because it has a deeper soundstage and the sounds are "flying" closer towards myself? Or maybe the ACP+ has slightly thicker bass. For acoustic music I prefer Wayne's Linestage. Does anyone have experienced both preamps and could help me with describing the differences? Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Johannes

Johannes,

I do not have access to both preamps, but I will say this:
I could think that different preamps will "work" better for different kinds of music, but the details are going to be in the frequency response, input/output impedance, gain, and what those preamps are connected to. Great preamps can be brought down simply by being connected to other gear that has a very different concept and expectation of impedance, etc.

At the very least, the two projects have different transistors/JFETS, which have their own operating points and surrounding circuitry. They had better sound different!

I hope that at least one other person on the forum has built both (this is highly likely) and can shed better light on your interesting question.