always necessary to match driver sensitivity?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, spherical need as much BSC,
with spherical the baffle step frequency response behavior is gradually, see the graphs in Elliott's article

Got it, thank you. Do you think it's a bad idea to test tweeter/woofer balance with ears alone? I do have a measurement microphone that I use to setup my recording studio monitors' response to my music mixing room. However, I'm not familiar with testing software, and am more used to using my ears to understand balanced audio.

Bottom line, can I tune driver balance in a 2-way enclosure without the use of testing equipment/software?

5 db tweeter is ok.

First, you need to do a computer simulation with parameters and box shape

Second try the XO in real. Then measure with microphone.

Steps are easy: topology of XO try. measure with microphone , confirm by ear problems, go back to simulation to fix it.

then listen a/b if b is better if not, fix other problems of the response, if problems persists or sound worst, change topology, compare topology a/b...

XO are way more complex that they seem.

They involve delays, resonances, band-pass, band-stop, order 1 to 4, different types of frequency crossings, they affect phase, polar response, and speaker damping/under-damping/overdamping time margins etc. This is why you need computer simulation to get the best possible XO.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.