DIY kit to make use of existing (somewhat unusual) NHT cabinet

Joined 2012
In post #3 everything is clearly explained, so my advice is to either learn the whole trade and do it yourself with any new drivers of your choosing or find a proven kit you only need to assemble. You can still modifiy NHT cabinets to suit the new kit, it does not have to be the same size units, and should it not perform as expected, you can proceed with original kit plans.

Might try something new like PA style speakers, compression driver in a horn to try the wide stereo image route.

edit: Were it me, I'd repair the NHT's to spec and save it for future or simply give away to those that may put them to good use and build a brand new concept. Chucking them sounds like sort of wasting, and these are too valuable cabinets for that, so it appears to me.

Last edited:
Joined 2012
In post #3 everything is clearly explained, so my advice is to either learn the whole trade and do it yourself with any new drivers of your choosing or find a proven kit you only need to assemble. You can still modifiy NHT cabinets to suit the new kit, it does not have to be the same size units, and should it not perform as expected, you can proceed with original kit plans.

Might try something new like PA style speakers, compression driver in a horn to try the wide stereo image route.

edit: Were it me, I'd repair the NHT's to spec and save it for future or simply give away to those that may put them to good use and build a brand new concept. Chucking them sounds like sort of wasting, and these are too valuable cabinets for that, so it appears to me.
Yeah, you're right, I got them out of the garage again yesterday to explore measuring the cabinet volume, and I was reminded of the fact that they really are gorgeous cabinets. Really heavy and still nice and glossy black, you don't see them like this too much anymore. Regardless of what direction I go with replacing the drivers, I will not be throwing them away. I'll figure something out, maybe donate them here first to someone willing to pay for shipping or give them to this guy who runs a vintage audio shop here in Houston. Something.

Joined 2022
My memory of the build quality is what made me feel sad to see them just tossed.

I still mourn the fact I gave away my old Snell Type D's. That was a very fine piece of cabinetry. That was gorgeous walnut. Dammit, I could have messed around with drivers on those for the rest of my days.

Joined 2012
There are a number of off the shelf woofers that would be a workable drop in replacements for the the old NHT 1259; the LAB 12 comes to mind.
Hrmm, how would that work exactly, the subwoofer it was designed for is only 8", would I need to manually widen the housing section? Or did you mean an 8" version of the woofer you mentioned?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
@mordikai and @wolf_teeth I appreciate the suggestion, reading through the PDF - just so I'm on the same page, this would amount to using the Continuum woofer in the lower cabinet https://meniscusaudio.com/product/continnum-woofer-module-full-kit-pair/ and the Adelphos pair in the upper cabinet?
haha! no. both the continuum and adelpho's are two way kits. There is an available addition to the two way kit that adds a woofer you could mount at the the bottom of your cabinet so it would still be a 3 way speaker.

Joined 2019
As mentioned the unique way your enclosure has a very low mounted side facing sub woofer
works out since the bass is non directional.
The real trick would be a very low crossover point to make the distance work out.
And the midrange also needs to be crossed over low enough for everything to work.

I would just use the Sub, Midrange, Tweeter

From a Visaton Elevation 3

The baffle Size, Driver Size and Midrange/Tweeter arrangement is very similar.

Ironically the tweeter is mounted in a similar matter.
and the Sub that is being used is also a 8" driver mounted low.

It is not necessarily a "kit"

But the crossover design and parts list is available.

GF 200 - 2 x 4 Ohm
AL 170 - 8 Ohm
G 25 FFL - 8 Ohm

1670741957316.png

Joined 2002
Hello, I have a set of 4 NHT1259 drivers that can sell. I purchased them back in 1995 from Madisound, and they have been in storage for the past 20 years. The drivers are in excellent condition, located in France.

Joined 2023
I‘m in the middle of doing a upgrade to my 2.5s
I purchased the Wavecore WF-168WA06 6.5 mid woofer
and a Seas 22TAF/G H1283 tweeter
I‘m still using the same subwoofer Peerless 830302 they are in still good shape and for what I have read about them
there are still a highly regarded driver.
it took me a long time to find drivers that have the same dimensions as the OEMs.
I didn’t want to alter the cabinets, they are to nice to be hacking away at.
I’m still fine tuning a x-over right now, but I can say for sure when done these are going to be special.
The Wavecore is a big improvement and the tweeter is vary similar but with more detail than the original

Joined 2008
I hope you did not give up on the NHT speakers. I have a near showroom perfect pair. They are very impressive considering the somewhat mid cost speaker drivers. I have done some basic crossover capacitor upgrades. With excellent results. You have one of the best DIY cabinets to work with.

Joined 2001
A number of years ago I upgraded as set of NHT 1.5's, essentially the mid and tweet on the 2.5's. Mods consisted of gluing 1/2" felted wool in the inside back of the cabinet and better caps in the crossover, Today they live in my shop, cabinets and drivers are perfect and they measure / sound far better than they have any right too driven by a Zen-light. Easily eclipsing a set of Usher Audio stand mounts that retail for 3x- 4x what the 1.5's originally sold for.