DIY loudspeaker for living room wanted BR/CB no matter

Hello friends of sound transducers,

My milling machine is hungry, and so are my ears, so I would like to build some loudspeakers for my living room. I have already filled out the following questionnaire:

-How much money can be spent (per piece/total - with/without cabinet)
approx. 300€ without cabinet

-How big is the room?
20 square meters

-How can the speakers be set up? (a small sketch with location, furniture and listening position is very helpful)
Approximately square room, stereo system / TV set against one wall, sofa opposite against the other wall. Speakers to the left/right of the stereo system. From the sofa, the windows are on the left wall, the entrance door to the living room is on the right wall.

-Do you want floorstanding speakers, compact speakers, wall speakers or something else?
I had imagined something like the LS from the 60/70s, in terms of appearance. For example, L100 or Beovox 2400 and similar.

-How big can the speakers be?
(HxWxD approx. 600x350x400)

-Is a subwoofer available? (if yes, please describe in detail)
No

-Which amplifier will be used?
Onkyo A8820

-What do you want to listen to through the speakers?
Rock, metal, hip-hop, movies

-How loud should it be?
Higher room volume, there are songs that you have to feel

-How low should the speakers go (Hz)?
As low as possible

-Is great importance attached to neutrality?
Hm, I would like to feel the bass in my diaphragm, clear voice reproduction, defined highs

-Is there anything in particular that is important (full range, sub-sat combination, closed construction, number of ways, manufacturer, active speaker, horn, etc.)?
I'm not sure. I once read that a closed system would have advantages in terms of bass reproduction as I want it, but I also read that it depends more on the drivers. I was thinking of 2 ways, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. I think I would be tempted by 10 or even 12 inches.

I have measuring equipment and software for evaluation.

I hope that you can give me any suggestions.
Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,
Frederik

Add Alexander Gresler to that! Well-documented and no nonsense design (links to 'DAU' there too). I think Troels and Tony might bring you to using overpriced drivers and crossover stuff of which the value for money is questionable. And your budget is a constraint, certainly if you want to feel the bass in your diaphragm.
Other inspiration here:
https://heissmann-acoustics.de
MTG designs

Reactions: 1 user
Like these?

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/cj120x
Something like Paul Carmody's Classix 2.5 or Tarkus 3 way would be worth looking at, although the cabinets are higher than you want, about 900mm. I second the suggestion to look at Speaker Design Works' projects. Wolf's Zingers have received excellent reviews, they're an 8" two way.

There are heaps of options out there; also. what you can build depends on whether you can get the drivers, some brands/items are nla.

Geoff

I hope that you can give me any suggestions.
Hallo Frederik
I've been thinking for a long time about what I would recommend for the "first time".
In my opinion, @Spillingvoid did everything right his “first time”.
He built two small full-range transducers into two surprisingly large boxes. (The two large boxes with the small transducers left and right in the photo in posting #9)
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/first-set-of-floor-standing-speakers.412255/#post-7678560 (#9)

Do it for under 100€ for the two transducers (Sd ~ 50cm²). Build two boxes as big as feasible (50 Liter ;-) ). Do not Helmholtz! Fill the boxes with really big loads of fibrous stuff (before glue up). Place them as close as possible to / at the wall behind the TV. Use your Onkyo A8820.

Now you have 500€ left for active subwoofer(s). Place the sub very close to your sofa (behind/under).

Best regards
Bernd

Last edited: