F5m kit

I mean I don’t want to split hairs here but I assume that if @Lewisknox is building a simple stereo F5M, then it shouldn't matter correct. Higher VA rated trafo means the trafo outputs more voltage and you will need less current to bias. Plus I think there is a little bit of headroom built into it. I am new to this and I have been corrected on erroneous info before.

^ no worries. More trying to understand a little bit more of the technical side of things. I discussed it with chat gpt, just for fun.

For a 400VA transformer with 18V secondaries, a very light load would typically be considered anything significantly less than the transformer's rated capacity. Since VA is the product of voltage and current, you could calculate the approximate load in terms of current by dividing the VA rating by the voltage.

In this case:
\[ Current = \frac{VA}{Voltage} = \frac{400}{18} \approx 22.22 \, A \]

So, for example, a very light load might be something like 5-10% of the rated capacity, which would be around 2.2 to 4.4 amps.

For a 400VA transformer with 24V secondaries, the calculation for a very light load would be similar. Let's do the math:

\[ Current = \frac{VA}{Voltage} = \frac{400}{24} \approx 16.67 \, A \]

So, a very light load for this transformer would be around 5-10% of its rated capacity, which translates to roughly 1.67 to 3.33 amps.

The new completion kit will include 6, 5 for the PSU and 1 for the AC line.

Ah, I've rechecked the updated article and realised that the product shot I was looking at/thinking of is the old board. I was doubting my ability to count for a minute there. There are indeed 5 + 1 thermistor positions on the new design.😅 Thanks for setting me straight.

Good to have the thermistor question nailed down, too. I was going to go for the Ametherm SG40, but to be honest the lack of consistency between data sheets makes it difficult to compare to the SL22 1008 directly beyond the one or two specs.

In summary, I'll have what everyone else is having.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Ah, I've rechecked the updated article and realised that the product shot I was looking at/thinking of is the old board. I was doubting my ability to count for a minute there. There are indeed 5 + 1 thermistor positions on the new design.😅 Thanks for setting me straight.
Now this begs the question of what we just ordered. If we just ordered what is thought to be the updated boards why is the picture still showing the old board up for sale this minute with 8 remaining? For that link.

How will the thermistors be provided in which kit? The Essentials or Completion. If we ordered only the Essentials will the Completion kit now have to be considered requisite and ordered?

Now this begs the question of what we just ordered. If we just ordered what is thought to be the updated boards why is the picture still showing the old board up for sale this minute with 8 remaining? For that link.

How will the thermistors be provided in which kit? The Essentials or Completion. If we ordered only the Essentials will the Completion kit now have to be considered requisite and ordered?

My understanding is this...

The Essentials Kit contains the updated board as per the note on the listing:

"3 May April 2024 update: This kit contains the updated version of the power supply board, which has separate thermistors for each channel. This allows for less noise and can work with higher current than the previous version. If you purchase one of the completion kits see the note about needing 2 more thermistors. If you are wanting to build dual mono supplies, please note that separate power supply kits will be coming in the near future."

So it's just an old photo, which is fair enough - nice photos can be a pain to organise. Might be helpful if the above text on the page specified the version number of the updated board, in leiu of an updated photo, as then we can just compare the version number to the one on the board in the photo and know where we're at.

The thermistors will be provided in the updated Completion Kit, which is apparently a month away:

"The next batch produced will include the extra 2 thermistors."

If you ordered from the current (just sold out) batch, they can send you the extra thermistors if you're in the US:

" If you live in the USA, email the helpdesk and we'll send them to you for free, though it might take a little longer than if you ordered them yourself."

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users