Folded horn sub for a Klipsch Heresy

Mr T65.: LBNL was wonderful if only for the view from the 88" shop of the bay. Nelson Did the Kleinhorn, check out that build over on Pass DIY for a sense of scale. We had to back the Kleinhorn with the El Pipe-0; (also on PASS DIY ) and that was all just for fun; but the text does point to the physical limitations of horns. and transmission lines. And yes size does matter: very much a go big or go-home sort of deal, A Tapered quarter wave / TH might be more practical For fun it would be hard to beat a dozen or more 12" woofers in an IB

Reactions: 1 users
Pure awesomeness!

1715285477702.png

BP1Fanatic..... lower than your might imagine, While at FLAX 2024 I was invited to the most over the top audio room, I've been in. there were 5 sub woofer arrays in the room, and nothing on the gents play list even hinted at bass. For the most part chamber music, and small acoustical jazz sets, The room was DSP'd flat to the low teens. And having said that when the music started, you were in the original performance space as opposed to the artists in your space. When the signal to the subs was muted the acoustic space absolutely collapsed. Moving a whole lot of air as gently as possible, seems to be the key element here.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Klipsch guys pointed me here when I started poking around for ideas on how to fill in the bottom of a LaScala…

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/reed-exodus-anarchy-25hz-tapped-horn.1238398/

Seems like it does the job in a fairly compact format.

I bought a pair of the currently available Tang Band unit at Parts Express and hope to try them.

Volvotreter built a few variations as well with the Tang Bands.

@BP1Fanatic - how about you design cheap and cheerful - like a tapped pipe with small footprint for the $50 (on sale) GRS PT12 (fs-35Hz) - a solid 35Hz or so could do some good. A 6th order reflex is a small and good option but needs the peaking EQ. A low tuned Karlson with boost at Fb sounds really good but don't know "why" as the front chamber should not be doing much - might be the Altec magic. K15 is a bulky thing for a 12x12 room.

Another option if H1 wuld be to make new backs- port the cabinet (culd be 6th orde with diff woofer)

Last edited:
Back in the day we all put a 5" kick under La Scallas. ported the kick, and removed the cover to the woofer from the bottom of the La Scala. The LaScala woofer back chamber them becomes ported with extra volume (lower tuning) ; this mod is easily reversible and preserves the value of the LaScala. Others have boxed in the horn section and opened that space up to the back chamber of the woofer for more volume (with or without port) not as effective and not reversible. Search for DJK Mod to La Scala

@BP1Fanatic - how about you design cheap and cheerful - like a tapped pipe with small footprint for the $50 (on sale) GRS PT12 (fs-35Hz) - a solid 35Hz or so could do some good. A 6th order reflex is a small and good option but needs the peaking EQ. A low tuned Karlson with boost at Fb sounds really good but don't know "why" as the front chamber should not be doing much - might be the Altec magic. K15 is a bulky thing for a 12x12 room.

Another option if H1 wuld be to make new backs- port the cabinet (culd be 6th orde with diff woofer)

You can plug the GRS 12PT-8 into the same models I did for the Dayton Audio PA310-8 for your "audiophile" enclosures.

For home theater, here you go.

10 foot negative flare TH (Tapered-Tapped Quarter Wave Tube or T-TQWT).

112 liters for 1 x 12" driver!
Tap points are at 12"!

12.5" x 6" throat.
12.5" x 3" mouth.

Hofmann's Iron Law, I picked low and small.

1715797928324.png

1715797943862.png

1715798086224.png
1715798153317.png

1715798186688.png

1715798252476.png

1715798294826.png

1715798329894.png

1715798405120.png

1715798440528.png

Back in the day we all put a 5" kick under La Scallas. ported the kick, and removed the cover to the woofer from the bottom of the La Scala. The LaScala woofer back chamber them becomes ported with extra volume (lower tuning) ; this mod is easily reversible and preserves the value of the LaScala. Others have boxed in the horn section and opened that space up to the back chamber of the woofer for more volume (with or without port) not as effective and not reversible. Search for DJK Mod to La Scala
I did one better: I built an enlarged horn section and used a 15" passive radiator in lieu of a port. it's flat from 23Hz to 20kHz with no port huffing or boomy bass. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/lascalus-a-horn-loaded-lascala-chorus-hybrid.403921/

@BP1Fanatic - re: the 111 liter version, how much of that style will fit into a 4 foot tall one fold pipe - I see ~30Hz cutoff at 93 liter and total length 224 cm.

It will be a monumental effort if i cut it - my arm strength is gone and muscles badly atrophied and shriveled - much pain in tendons - muscles of arms - no range of motion - locked shoulders - the deterioration started in 1996 with obstructive sleep apnea (never fixed) but has really sped up in the last year - "ouch" - guess should not expect much at "74" - never recovered strength from 9 days on ventilator.in 2019 for allergic reaction to BP med.

Here's a one fold pipe I uploaded 14 years ago made of badly warped plywood. Ideally I need some clean output around 120 or a bit higher to support LORDSANSUI's "smallhorn3" - -.

some offset to fix that 100Hz dip would be good ss may not be able to get a decent DSP

Last edited:
Absolutely PERFECT ! - and should be an easy - cheap project for the Heresy owner.

What could one do with a shorter line to specifically support kick drums with the GRS 12PT? Karlson are amongh the very best I've heard for "hit" but an X15 sized Karlson, tun ed to 53Hz has only about 2CF rear chamber, and rolls off below 80Hz. Maybe an XKi absed on series 6th order?

What with a pipe can be one which beats a dumb old reflex for this chart ?

CUBO kick are tuned to enhance an octave above these Tune-Bot bass drum tuning frequencies. I assume Mr. CUBO knows what he's doing.

What if the 30Hz perfect pipe were paired with a second unit and woofer tuned to ~52Hz.?

Can one speaker drive dual - pipes tuned ~one ocdtave from another to any advantage - or does that create horrible peaks and dips?

1715874857126.png