Increasing size of coupling cap in this phono circuit

With polar caps, the simplest thing would be to measure on board the voltage between the two connections. Then it becomes clear where the higher voltage is present, i.e. where the positive pole of the capacitor is to connect.

What I was asking about is why not use all bipolar capacitors since they all interact with the audio signal? Is there any reason to not use all bipolar? Just like the input caps on the phono board, originals were polar and I installed bipolar. So why not to all of the caps in the preamp that deal with the audio path. The largest cap in there is a 4.7uF.

The steady state DC voltage on the capacitor may or may not be an indicator of any transient voltages
during warm up and turn off. Always assume the worst possible case for voltage across the electrolytic capacitor.
I’m sorry, but what are you saying exactly? Kind of went over my head. Let’s say there were larger transients at power on and power off, how would a polar capacitor deal with that better than a nonpolar? You have a polar capacitor rated for 35 V and it sees a transient of 40 V which it can handle for so many seconds, wouldn’t it be the same for a 35 V rated?

Dan

What I was asking about is why not use all bipolar capacitors since they all interact with the audio signal? Is there any reason to not use all bipolar? Just like the input caps on the phono board, originals were polar and I installed bipolar. So why not to all of the caps in the preamp that deal with the audio path. The largest cap in there is a 4.7uF.
I don't know all the possible reasons. But one reason is often the cost. Another is the very small capacities that are available as bipolar, which are rare or even unfeasible as polar. Since the vast majority of devices are not developed by ear, and certainly not back then, sound, tonal tuning, is not the reason;-)

Joined 2011
I’m sorry, but what are you saying exactly? Kind of went over my head. Let’s say there were larger transients at power on and power off, how would a polar capacitor deal with that better than a nonpolar? You have a polar capacitor rated for 35 V and it sees a transient of 40 V which it can handle for so many seconds, wouldn’t it be the same for a 35 V rated?

Transient voltages across a coupling capacitor can be as large as the rail voltage.
In some circuits the transient voltages can be of reverse polarity compared to the steady state voltage,
which would damage a polar electrolytic capacitor.

a capacitor, any capacitor will have its voltage specs based on its insulation properties...as long as the insulation can handle the voltage without damage, then everything is fine, transients should not cause any capacitor to dissipate power, that would have to be catastrophic...

Reactions: 1 user
Transient voltages across a coupling capacitor can be as large as the rail voltage.
In some circuits the transient voltages can be of reverse polarity compared to the steady state voltage,
which would damage a polar electrolytic capacitor.
So in that case it would actually be better to use a nonpolar capacitor in those spots which is what I want to do. Since they used polar I’m guessing they the transients are bad enough to damage the caps since they all still work in a sense, but regardless, the UES I want to place there are a bit higher voltage.

I’m getting a little confused here, are you saying it’s a bad idea to put the UES nonpolars in on the preamp/tone board?

Dan

Joined 2011
I've used the UES bipolars for coupling with good results. There's no reason you can't use them instead of a polar type.

You have to consider the normal circuit operation, transients from turn on/off, and possible failure modes.
If a transistor shorts, etc, you don't want the coupling electrolytics to be damaged from excessive or reversed DC voltage.

Reactions: 1 user
What, for example, a parts replacement, such as capacitors, does not achieve, different materials can achieve as the base of the device;-)
Or even just tightening or loosening the housing screws;-)
A captain knows every screw on his amplifier... ehm: ship;-)

I did some reading on increasing the size of a coupling cap, and it seems to be that it’s really circuit dependent. I have this pho preamp, and these caps are the last in the circuit which connected to the rest of the preamp.

View attachment 1311391
The two I’m specifically talking about are C415 and C416. They are 0.47 uF mylar or maybe polyester. I have some Panasonic polypropylene in that value, but I’m wondering what effect it would have if I increased the size. 0.68? 1?

I have some pretty nice quality polypropylene when I get into the 1 microfarad and above range. Out of curiosity, how high could I go? Could I put 2.2 in and see a benefit in the audio? or should I stay lower closer to the 1 microfarad? Or should I stick with 0.47?

Dan
It's possible that enlarging the coupling caps might lower the phono stage's low frequency cutoff to below what is needed, inviting excessive woofer flap caused by warped disks. It depends upon the impedance the stage is working into. I'd be careful about enlarging the caps; they might cause trouble with no real sonic improvement.