Just a simple analog multi channel volume controller?

Hi,

I thought it's just a simple question. I need a volume controller (just 1 rotary knob) to control 8 line level outputs with this "just 1 knob".

Although, it seems not that simple, as I can only find 1500 euro costing commercial devices, with 8 inputs and 8 outputs AND this just 1 knob. OK< they added a mute and a dim function and a set of buttons to select input and output.

What I woud love to have is build my own device / volume knob with 8 inputs at line level connectors, controlled by that knob to get 8 output line level connectors. Dim and mute switch woud be fine, but not a must.

WHY??

I am having a home studio Hybrid mixing desk (48 channels mixing desk combined with a Mac mini and analog converters) to mix multitracks (studio recordings) as a hobby and now want to go for Dolby Atmos (5.1.2 format) so 8 analog line level signals to 8 powered loudspeakers (Genelec 3010A).
To be able to control the volume I need 1 knob on all 8 channels but have not found a rotary knob that hods 8 "layers" if you get what I try to put in words.

SOLUTIONS?

The whole world is watching as "boxes" exist from various brands, but they start at 1500 euro upwards to 6000 euro just to put the volume a bit higher or lower, which I find a bit " h^&^213n(&623H^$^& " (not so nice word)......

I faced exactly the same problem in my 4-way active setup, a few years ago - needing to be able to adjust the volume of the 8 analogue signals coming from my miniDSP 10x10HD and going into 8 amplifier channels. (I didn't want to use the digital volume control inside the miniDSP.)

I found the 'Relaixed' PCBs from Jos van Eijndhoven in Holland. It worked excellently.

Here are a couple of pics of what I built:

RelaiXed-TLP Front.JPG

The volume knob fits on the shaft on the RHS of the front panel. The display unit to its shows the volume - can also be varied using a remote control (see hole just to the right of the display).

RelaiXed-TLP Back.jpg

If you don't want to build it yourself ... I can sell you this one - as I have changed my miniDSP unit to an all-digital one and no longer need the Relaixed unit. We in Oz have 230v/50Hz mains - so it will work fine in Europe.

PM me if you're interested. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi wae,

There is a relatively easy method to implement: analog switch IC + operational amplifier + resistor:

1. Adjust the amplification factor of the operational amplifier through the feedback resistor.
2. Select different feedback resistor values through the analog switch.

If this method is not possible for you, I can provide DIY services. Put forward your requirements and I will help you make the final product you need. Like this 8-channel volume adjustment, the entire DIY cost can be within 500$.

I currently have a box with HDMI input and 4 sets of AES/EBU outputs. The overall volume of the 8-channel output can be adjusted through the remote control.