Layout help for series crossover

I never noticed the the original post had no cap. This is the one from 2003 that I started with.

View attachment 1300338
This crossover scheme with a capacitor is quite alright. It already gives some design flexibility and, in my opinion, is such a minimum for a sensibly designed series crossover. Of course, you can't do it properly without measuring the speakers and simulating the crossover. For simulation I recommend VituxCAD.

As an exercise I used this XO design on a simulation I did for a new member. This was just a PoC using downloaded Dayton factory data, I was surprised at the quality of the results after adjusting the values. I have no idea how it would sound, I'm guessing both drivers are pushed into distortion, but the frequency response looks nice. It was in the recent thread.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/first-3-way-crossover.412155/page-3#post-7673003

almar var6 XO-schema-6.png

almar var6 Six-pack.png

Got it, the change pushed the XO point up to 3500. I did some more fooling around with serial XO circuits and I think they are of very limited use. The woofer and tweeter need to have the same impedance for any chance of success. Maybe using a cone tweeter that can play very low or a small full range for the high frequency might work. I even tried modeling a second order serial with some of my working designs that use modern drivers and all I could end up with was a hot mess. There seems to be to much interaction between the low pass and high pass circuits. I will stick to parallel XO circuits.

Different impedance for tweeter and woofer is no problem and a lot of mine have 4 ohm tweeter with 8 ohm woofer crossing over around 2.4 kHz. Driver selection makes a big difference with this type of crossover as there is not the flexibility of a parallel crossover.