M2X Pointer

Started looking at the M2X thread, seems as though there are many developments/improvements along the way. Do I need to go through the various threads to see the most up to date iteration? Are there specific parts that are going to be difficult to source that I might want to procure?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
With the exception of various input stages to play with, I don't know know that there are "improvements". I'm sure people have experimented (as is typical) with iterations / variations on the theme, but that's all normal. My advice is to build it per the guide provided in the first few posts of the thread. Then... if you're up to it, decide if you want to fiddle with it further.

With the exception of a few parts in one or two of the IPSs, I don't think anything should be too difficult to find.

Go through the BoMs provided. Start to find all the parts, then if you run into something challenging, just ask. Be aware that certain capacitors and even some resistors of the exact part numbers provided in the excellent BoMs may not be current production parts. However, that should not stop you from finding suitable replacements. My advice is to search for suitable replacements before posting a bunch of line item parts that you can't find and then asking everyone else to search for replacements for you. BoMs are generally not kept current with all in-stock parts from typical suppliers.

Give it a whirl. It's an excellent learning exercise. If you decide to build it, I think you'll really enjoy it.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Not everyone who builds Austin, is delighted with the results. Particularly those who have not previously been forced to study and apply the pinouts of their specific transistor choices. Obviously, Certainly, there have been more that one lucky guessers, after all "even a blind pig finds an acorn from time to time". But getting Austin right without actually understanding Austin, is a losing bet.

I would start with the original version, i.e. Ishikawa, try to understand it, appreciate the subjective qualities and then move up from there. In my opinion, going in the order as the daughter boards were presented is a good way to learn. Besides, you do want to hear what the standard original NP designed M2 sounds like before the variations came about. That way you have a baseline for comparisons. My personal motivation on building the Ishikawa is to play with the optional RV2 pot and hence 2nd harmonic distortion using my audio analyzer.

My opinion of course ;) .

Best,
Anand.

• Thank You
Joined 2011
Paid Member
For inexperienced builders, I would recommend starting with Tucson + DIP8 socket + OPA134. It's an easy to solder daughter card with low parts count, and you can buy all required components in a single order from Mouser or DigiKey, with two day shipping. Straightforward and easy and immediate gratification.

A stereo pair of OPA134 chips costs $6.56 from DK, while the Ishikawa matched NNPP quad of Toshiba JFETs from the diyAudio Store will set you back $40.00, if and when they are in stock. Plus, thanks to the DIP8 socket, you can do some opamp rolling experiments if you like, either now or later. And your rolling adventures can include opamps on SOIC-to-DIP adapters . . . . which is nice because some of the more delightful post-Y2010 opamp chips are only sold in SOIC (surface mount) packages.

Last edited:
  • Thank You