Old Wharfedale drivers

Hi all, does anyone recognise these old Wharfedale woofer drivers. They are said to be 8 inch. I don't know what model they are from. Keen to know specs and any other info. Glenn

Attachments

• wharfedale driver.jpg
    wharfedale driver.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:
probably a Leak

From "A Pair of Wharfedales" by David Briggs:

This so-called piston-action sandwich cone drive unit was invented by Don Barlow in 1958 while working for Alcan.

The light but very stiff cone was made from a thick section of expanded polystyrene sandwiched between outer skins of aluminium.

Barlow was induced to move to Leak to develop the drive unit which was launched in 1961.

They are said to be 8 inch.

The 'Sandwich 200' model had an 8 inch version and was rated at 8 ohms, with power handling of 18 watts.

However, its 8 inch driver, shown below, doesn't resemble the driver in Glenn's image:

1716132221506.png

EDIT: Further research reveals that the above driver has a 170 mm (6.7") cone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
In any case, the link I posted sports what looks like the exact same driver shown in Glenn's picture.
Browse the pictures in the link to find out.

Further down it gives a lot of info among this:
Configuration: 2x 2.5" Drivers 1x 6" Woofer SEALED

So, I think Glenn's woofer is 6".

the link I posted sports what looks like the exact same driver shown in Glenn's picture.

The square magnet assembly of Glenn's driver looks oversized in relation to an 8" diameter, so 6" would be closer to the mark.

EDIT: The specs of this Sandwich 300 say it has a 200 mm (7.97") cone so there appears to be two models of these.

1716136687520.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Further down it gives a lot of info

I think that further down information is simply a collection of 'facts' that the seller has collected off the internet.

The 6" reference would appear to be a mistake as it is at odds with the published specifications for the Sandwich 300 that I gave above.

And, I've found an image showing the Sandwich 300 drivers:

1716137641952.png

I believe that may completely solve the mystery!

Well thank you everybody. That is a very comprehensive response. I don't own them yet but am considering buying them to use in Wharfedale 304 speakers that do not have the original woofer drivers. They should fit the cabinets but the crossover will need to be changed. The tweeters in the 304s are the originals. Glenn

Reactions: 1 users