Philips CD101 repair

Hi everyone,
I am the original owner of a Philips CD101, which I have owned for approx. 37 years. All these years the player worked great and I love its sound.
Recently the player refused to turn on. Reading about similar issues on this and other forums, I understood this is a common issue due to old capacitors drying out.
I have reasonable experience repairing electronics, so I thought I could do this myself. I bought this recapping kit: Philips CD 100+101 Player Power Supply Electrolytic Capacitors Vishay Power Supply recap recapping Kit | eBay, unsoldered each capacitor separately and replaced with the corresponding capacitor from the kit, while observing the polarity.
When I plugged the player back in, the LED's flickered on and off and the player made some strange sounds. When I carefully checked the board with a magnifying glass, I found several "cold joints", especially around the power supply transistors, so I resoldered those joints.
When I plugged the player back in, the LED's came on and stayed on. I inserted a CD and pressed "Play" but the CD did not turn. I tried several times, until I saw smoke coming out through the top of the player, in the back, approx. mid-way. I immediately turned the player off, unplugged, opened it up again, and found that capacitor no. 2291 (100 uF) had popped.
After unsoldering, I checked its polarity and found it was incorrect. I must have made a mistake when replacing this capacitor.
Not having another new one on hand, I replaced it with the old one (I do not have a way to check whether its value has deteriorated but the old capacitor does still seem functional). I tried the player, and now it comes on properly, but the CD still doesn't turn. I permanently shorted the contacts of the CD door to check that this wasn't the issue, and indeed, even with the door contacts shorted the CD doesn't turn. I was able to observe the laser assembly moving back and forth and up and down, attempting to focus. And when I power off the player, the CD turns a little bit, as it used to, so the motor is apparently working.
What could be the issue? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you @absolon, I read it. In particular, these sentences:

These players, like most (but not all) radial armed players, will only spin a CD once the laser has successfully focused on a disc. If a player will spin a disc, the laser and focus servo are probably okay.
In his case, the CD DID spin, but the player wouldn't read the table of content of the disc. In my case however, the disc does not even spin. Do you think this could be an indication that the issue is with the laser or focus servo?

BTW: I did not replace any of the capacitors on the PCB directly mounted to the laser mechanism. I could try to replace those as well, but since the CD won't spin, I am thinking there is something else wrong.

Thank you @absolon, I read it. In particular, these sentences:

In his case, the CD DID spin, but the player wouldn't read the table of content of the disc. In my case however, the disc does not even spin. Do you think this could be an indication that the issue is with the laser or focus servo?

BTW: I did not replace any of the capacitors on the PCB directly mounted to the laser mechanism. I could try to replace those as well, but since the CD won't spin, I am thinking there is something else wrong.

There's spin and there's spin ....
With a philips radial arm mech this should and can be less than a second (or two max)

If not check the spindle isn't partially slowed by poor lubrication., could even be lack of lube on the end bearing/cap - but be aware of not disturbing the platter height when sorting this.
Also be aware of ESD procedures when working round the servo area when you replace those 33uF caps.

Then have you replaced the 33uf's on the servo board next to the mech underneath?

Last edited:
aerschler, did you check that there is some light coming out of the laser diode when you press "Play", no disc inside, and looking at the laser (not directly, of course), or with your phone camera? This small glow is reddish, and you should observe it in the dark, even not if you're not in the beam axis. During the time it is lighted, the lens is moving up and down 3 times. Then it stops.
First thing to check, for me.

Hi ahershler, I have this CD 101 and got the same issue as you mentioned. it does not spin when press play, but when I power it off just spin a little bit.

Not sure if you have solved this problem?

to anybody, it will be greatly appreciated if you could help and share your though how can I solve this problem. I have replaced all the e-capacitors, but still the same issue.