Questions of faith - reflections on your own taste, thoughts about right or wrong!

Polarizing interjection:

If a flawless amplifier drives a hi-fi loudspeaker and this loudspeaker is perceived for the first time as no longer present in the reproduction illusion, then this may also mean that the loudspeaker would be an ideal transducer of physical quantities.

;-)
Most speakers will be localizable because
a) the cabinet resonates,
b) the front is often a large sound-emitting and reflecting surface: phantom sound sources that even the best amplifier cannot block out;-)
I would not choose floorstanding speakers but compact speakers to get better audio results;-)
Also prefers to use stone, concrete and aluminum boxes. Or even tricky dipoles;-)

Joined 2019
Paid Member
We can’t consider such transducer to be flawless based on one property (detached soundstage). We can still hear difference to live performance (originating form room acoustics, recording distortion, limited transients … and so on). But that reproduction, where sound virtually emanates from positions on soundstage illusion, which extends far beyond room walls, and loudspeakers are a dead thing is precious and I could not “live without it”.

Reactions: 1 user
I withdraw my question, because I can understand you - and dancing around the definitions of words or terms is absolutely counterproductive, especially since each of us here on this board has a different mother tongue to that of our counterpart.

I completely agree with you on what I think I understand.

#
The interaction between a sound transducer and its driver, the amplifier, was already mentioned above.

So there is no point of contention or even a conflict. You are absolutely right in what you have said. Maybe Markw4 can also cross that bridge and we don't just reach a consensus.
It doesn't have anything to do with misunderstanding or not being a native English speaker.

It has to do with a couple of things.
1 - The claim is written in such away that it already assumes to be true
2 - The claim is written is a very vague way, assuming that many many things will be solved
3 - The question of the person referring to this claims asks the wrong question because of (1)

So in this case the question is not if somebody could explain why that is the case.
We first have to answer the case to begin with.

I can hereby claim that eating strawberries will improve your ears and listening skills.
So I developed a type of strawberry that makes your hearing so good you don't need measurements anymore.
Can you explain why measurements are needed?

In proper wording this is called a fallacy.
It's in fact a very good textbook example.

So as I already mentioned before, we have to take a step back first and wonder what it means that "your speakers will disappear".

As someone who has professionally been developing electronics, amplifiers (Class-A, Class-D) and mostly loudspeakers myself for the last two decades, I have no clue what that even means.
It would make a lot more sense to claim that it makes the amplifier disappear instead.

But besides that, I would first like to see the objective data plus again proper blind AB and ABX tests.

Claiming things on just subjective and anecdotal ideas, which are even less than a well formed hypothesis, is already a lost case obviously.

Not even worth debating about.

Reactions: 1 users
When you have an amplifier like the superb Benchmark model AHB2 as an example, I'd call that a solution to the amplifier problem.
I have one. Its not perfect for driving Sound Lab ESLs, I can tell you that. There were obvious problems to multiple listeners which is not surprising. AHB2 is rated down to 3 ohms load. The Sound Labs dip down to as low as 2 ohms. Specs are out the window then.

I would use a transformer instead of electronics that drive 2 ohms "stably" but work uncleanly due to their circuit and component complexity: that sound not clean.
Perhaps a few ohms of load resistance in series will suffice. If it doesn't get out of hand in terms of power;-)

Joined 2019
Paid Member
So as I already mentioned before, we have to take a step back first and wonder what it means that "your speakers will disappear".

As someone who has professionally been developing electronics, amplifiers (Class-A, Class-D) and mostly loudspeakers myself for the last two decades, I have no clue what that even means.
Really surprising. So let's clear that.

Term that loudspeakers “disappear” in stereo reproduction is well known. It is a reproduction property where listener has illusion that reproduced sound doesn’t come from loudspeakers at all, but sound sources are perceived as emanating from positions on the virtual soundstage behind loudspeakers.

Before your rant, you could notice that I explained that no amplifier will make every loudspeaker to “disappear” but amplifiers do make difference if loudspeakers are capable of that effect.

Reactions: 1 users
With wooden loudspeakers, it may be sufficient to insert contacts, additional plugs: one or two parts of metal, if you like, steel instead of copper or brass. Match the material resonances of wood and metal until the sound is right; the gray and flat wooden box suddenly sounds colorful, full-bodied, alive;-)

Before your rant, you could notice that I explained that no amplifier will make every loudspeaker to “disappear” but amplifiers do make difference if loudspeakers are capable of that effect.
If people make very strong blunt claims and statements, the only thing you can expect is reactions.

Which is very interesting, because it started with a VERY strong claim but is already being toned down already.

Term that loudspeakers “disappear” in stereo reproduction is well known.
Mostly very well known as marketing bs often abused than being actually true.

Again, come with objective data and we (as all the people here) have something to talk about.

In the meantime I will leave it at strawberries, because I claim them to be even better than these amplifiers!!
Don't believe me? I have tested them many times!

In the meantime I will leave it at strawberries, because I claim them to be even better than these amplifiers!!
Don't believe me? I have tested them many times!
Show the measurements of your strawberries and some people will accept your claim as fact without thinking about it twice. You can post anything that looks like a nice FFT. Just draw it with a crayon. From then on everyone will be claiming strawberries are objectively best for amplification.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Mostly very well known as marketing bs often abused than being actually true.
In 20 years you never heard such reproduction. :eek::eek:
Oh My God.

If people make very strong blunt claims and statements, the only thing you can expect is reactions.
Which is very interesting, because it started with a VERY strong claim but is already being toned down already.
Again, you should notice that claim you refer to was formulated by Markw4 and is slightly different from mine in the original thread (nothing wrong with formulation by Markw4, except for those that are just looking for fight).

I’m listening to discussed detached soundstage reproduction this very moment, while typing. It even doesn’t require expensive loudspeakers, just good equipment. I leave you to your strawberries.

Have a nice day.

Show the measurements of your strawberries and some people will accept your claim as fact without thinking about it twice. You can post anything that looks like a nice FFT. Just draw it with a crayon. From then on everyone will be claiming strawberries are objectively best for amplification.
No because I don't believe in such things for strawberries, therefore it's not needed.
Besides, people don't even know and understand anything about strawberries yet, that's only meant for holy strawberry gurus, so it's totally pointless anyway to do such things.
Believe me I have asked ChatGPT and searched on hobby forums about strawberries.

But it's definitely true that it sounded better with strawberries, so it MUST be true and better!!!

Do you think I should put strawberries in my amplifiers as well?
I mean if eating them makes it all better, this immediately 100% proves that using them must make everything better!

I think there are two opposing claims: different things have different effects and different things do not have different effects. There is no reason to describe one or the other assertion as nonsensical. However, practical experience tends to favor one assertion over the other;-)

Another way to make speakers disappear is to cover them with cloth or blankets. All around, except the drivers. This gives you an initial impression of how much cabinets dis-colour the sound. This has little to do with "linearity" - the German hi-fi standards, for example, are pure nonsense;-)
This is also a beginner's experience - not even opening the speakers;-) The point is to gradually get to know, distinguish and categorize the various influences - before venturing into the influence of pure electronic designs: the point is, for example, to get to know the influence of practical layout, materials, components and more;-)

Attachments

• The Science of Subjectivity.pdf
    92.4 KB · Views: 14
I have one. Its not perfect for driving Sound Lab ESLs, I can tell you that. There were obvious problems to multiple listeners which is not surprising. AHB2 is rated down to 3 ohms load. The Sound Labs dip down to as low as 2 ohms. Specs are out the window then.
It's the nearly impossible-to-drive speakers that are a problem. You need something that could serve as an arc welder for those.