• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

RTR SSR Speaker Protection GB5

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I thought you were referring to the SSR as connected to the SMPS situation as shown a few posts above. If you are referring to Mikebarney’s use of a mains relay to control power on/off of the SMPS 630SO, I think that may or may not work since the tpa3255 15v rail just needs to stay up longer than the HV rail to prevent thump. I do think it would be wiser to use a 12v external signal and relay to activate the “STDBY” logic pin for graceful shutdown.

1678672764183.jpeg

Hi X. it's been a while. I have an unused pair of your version 2.1 speaker protection boards - I'll need to remind myself of how to implement them and find the bonus low-cap PS boards, which seem to have gone walkies, but fundamental question first - are V2.1 boards OK to use in an amp with +/-150VDC power rails? I'm not sure when you switched to using the 150V mosfets and a search hasn't provided the answer yet. Cheers.

Hi X,

I just been referred by other member about your speaker protection, going straight to the question, I just finish to built a Tim Mellow OTL tube amplifier with +/-150 vdc power rail and as you know OTL are not using output transformer making the life of speakers in danger in the case of failure of one of the power tube 6C33C, in the original schematic there is already some form of protection but really not so safe, so do you think your RTR SSR can be combined with this tube amp?
Thank you

Acky

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Actually, the bonus board with transistors is not the low cap PSU but a logic driver board to activate the on board open collector gates. The low cap PSU was with the next Gen.

Easy to make though. 2 diodes for half wave bridge, 10uF cap, LED and resistor to indicate power on. Schematic somewhere.

@kissabout2002 - if 42Vpp this SSR board will work perfectly fine.

Reactions: 1 user