The Photography and Camera Thread

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have a new 1.0x optical viewfinder with reflex red dot alignment from the gun world. The optics are clear and the dot makes for near perfect accuracy. I shot two hand held shots spaced in time and put the camera down and picked it back up using the dot and the images matched as if on a tripod when I viewed them. I have never seen that before on a hand held shot.

1715617476509.jpeg

1715617491543.jpeg

The other benefit is the low cost. A quality optical viewfinder made for photography will set you back $250. Whereas a red dot sight made of CNC aluminum with adjustable dot and laser diode illumination costs about $30 and the Picatinny rail to hot shoe adapter was $10. Extreme value, great performance and looks way cool too. The red dot has superb eye relief - from up to the face or at arms length.

My main camera is a first type Canon DSRL 6D (full Frame) and I use almost exclusively a Canon 24-105 "L" lens. It weighs a ton to carry around.
A while back I bought a 28-105 3.5-5.6 Sigma Aspherical from a second-hand charity shop. The lens is totally mint and makes using the 6D practical
again. I shot a few frames around the garden today and other than a tendency to focus about 1-1.5 yards short of the chosen point it is a cracking little lens.
The focus problem I will deal with in the focus tuning programme software. That lens cost me UK£5.00 - about US$6.35

:drink:

Reactions: 1 user
I shot a few frames around the garden today and other than a tendency to focus about 1-1.5 yards short of the chosen point...
In that case you should perform an AF microadjustemt on your 6D to make it focus properly, especially important with 3rd party lenses, many better DSLR's (and mirrorless too..) have this feature.

Canon EOS AF Microadjustment Guidebook (PDF)
50D camera
70D camera
(note: AF Microadjustment not available on 60D)
80D camera
7D camera
7D Mark II camera
6D camera
5D Mark II camera
5D Mark III camera
5DS, 5DS R cameras
1D Mark III; 1Ds Mark III cameras
1D Mark IV camera
1D X camera
1D X Mark II camera

How to set AF Microadjustments on the EOS 6D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
In that case you should perform an AF microadjustemt on your 6D to make it focus properly, especially important with 3rd party lenses, many better DSLR's (and mirrorless too..) have this feature.......
Thank you Ultima Thule; it never ceases to amaze me how kind so many members of this community are in taking some time to help other members.

Reactions: 1 user