Yet another question of sealed 10 & 12 vs ported 10?

So: I have decided to upgrade from my current sub: which is a sealed cerwin vega VEGA series 10". I can only get 1 sub due to space constraints, and yes, two is too wide unfortunately. I can either swap out the vega for something a bit more powerful (ported or sealed), or I can go up in size and get a 12" (sealed).

What would y'all recommend? I have a 1.05 cu.ft sealed box.

Last edited:
No replies yet? I worked in this area for many years and my stark recollection is you won't be able to get a big enough (considering airflow) port to tune low enough* to work well. I'd be doing the 12" sealed. Try modeling different units...the typical "F3 versus sensitivity" kind of tradeoff a la "Hofmann's Iron Law" is true in a way BUT the sensitivity per Small is a midrange quantity. What happens at only the lowest frequencies is not what you might always think.

*this depends on your goal. If you want to emulate SAS Bazooka products tuned to 40 Hz "because that is the lowest note on a bass guitar" and don't care about or even welcome the ensuing time domain messy BOOM then maybe.

Going ported will get you a small but noticeable gain. Likely about the same as a single sealed 12". Your biggest issue is that you don't have the room or budget for going much louder. It's simply not possible to rattle your fillings out based on your requirements.

You want it loud? Tune it higher or demo a bandpass box.

Last suggestion: experiment with rotating your box. Sub facing the rear hatch (instead of up) might get you enough output to be happy with.