Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

You mean how would people design their own adapters to my waveguides, like the A520G2?

Of course I do everything with Ath (it's still expanding), and a little bit of Desmos, but that hasn't been published. But I can imagine adding the original Ath script into the STL package(s), so that it would be more convenient for people to design different adapters using a BEM simulation of the whole, as you may already be used to. This would also show how to do it, so anyone could proceed with their own. I only stopped giving all completely for free, as the experience was not only positive.

Is this what there would be an interest in doing?
Hi

I am here from beginning (for sure not major contributor, but constant follower) and I am aware there was some unpleasant experience, but thread is about hot topic, long lasting and with huge amount of the posts from very different people so statistically s*** must happen (sometimes). On other side, thanks to you, at first, but to some other contributors as well, it became very enjoying journey to perfection (as close as possible) with huge amount of knowledge and examples.

I am not flattering you, I really think this, as probably, most people which are still here, even after 5 years.

My intention is not to design adapters to your waveguides but to try to design complete device, horn and adapter all together.

And, yes, probably for all designers here, which are using your tool (Ath), will be very convenient to have it included in Ath script.
But as I said, you gave so much of your knowledge and time, so if you do not feel comfortable with that do not bother.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have finished the ROSSO adapter. It's quite some piece of technology :)

1716047971905.png
1716047985752.png

(And I've just noticed that the phase plug is a straight-slot version...)

Reactions: 6 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
for Faital HF10AK, what extension do you recommend?
I tried the existing one (T520-25-STD-2) and even if the input angle is modified to match the driver, there's only a subtle difference.

But there seems to be an "optimal" adapter for the HF10AK, including an inner ring, that looks like this (86 mm long):

hf10ak.PNG

As I don't have this driver at hand, would there be anyone who has the driver interested and also willing to participate in development of the adapter? This would mean to measure the driver as accurately as possible, 3D print a prototype and test it fits as expected.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You need none. Sorry if it's confusing. The older kits, basically everything except the "Gen2" page, is self-contained, no replaceable parts.
It is for a 1" driver and everything is set. Beside that, there's the "ATH Accessories" kit that may come handy.

BTW, today a measurement of the EXAR-400 with B&C DE500 was posted on a local Czech forum:

1716056147996.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Here's an example of what not to do with a Coaxial horn. Did not model the horn in the coaxial woofer. Just winged it with two different sized R-OSSEs. The larger 6 inch horn mouth section was a gyroid 15% with no surface layer beyond a 90 mm diameter from the center of the horn.

Compression driver B&C DE111. Using a 18 mm diameter tube from the exit of the phase plug to the start of the horn. No angle, just a straight tube. 83 mm long straight tube from phase plug exit to start of horn. Did not remove the factory horn, it's glued in. I inserted the straight sided tube inside the factory horn up to my 3D printed horns. The 3D printed horns were elevated above the factory horn but as close as possible. I thought I would at least get smooth polars above 5k even if everything else fell apart but nope. My intuition did not match reality.

I wanted to 3D print an OSSE as well for comparison but got impatient and wanted to start measuring to satisfy curiosity. I'll save OSSE for a simulation that includes woofer cone and enclosure. And I might simulate the OSSE without the woofer using a flat surface over the woofer cone that I'll convert into a 10% gyroid, same size horn as factory but transitioning to a 10% or even 5% gyroid over the woofer portion.

Sica 8C2CP 8 inch coaxial

sica8.PNG

Factory designed horn. Normalized 10 degrees.

PXL_20240519_001121145.jpg Sica8horn.jpg

3.5 inch R-OSSE, with horn simulation in free space, not with woofer cone or enclosure. Normalized 10 degrees

PXL_20240519_001130807.jpg 3polar.jpg

3.5inch.jpg

6 inch R-OSSE w/ Gyroid Mouth, with horn simulation in free space, not with woofer cone or enclosure. Normalized 10 degrees

PXL_20240519_001153173.jpg 6polar.jpg
6inch.jpg

Last edited: