Symphony Amplifier

Its fine as is due to the resistor across inductor. If moving it does make a difference and fixes oscillation here then there will be bound to be ghost oscillations later
Parallel resistor across the inductor is not only OK, it is a must to fix ringing. But the Zobel should be placed in front of the inductor, or two Zobels can be used, one in front.of the inductor and another one behind the inductor.

Well that's if you feed square waves through the amp, with audio signals ringing usually isn't an issue. You can run without the damping resistor quite safely - given the inductor usually has less than 1 ohm reactance across the audio band 10 ohms in parallel isn't really visible at audio frequencies, and the damping resistor isn't needed for stability.

The "feedback-fixes-all" school of design is the use of feedback to (partially) correct a design deficiency, rather than avoiding the deficiency in the first place.
Since all active devices are non-linear, there's no design deficiency involved, just clever design that improves performance of said devices.
I can point to numerous examples
Go on then.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nice result 👍. I’d put the Zobel on the amp side of the output coupling inductor though. Placing it after the inductor acts as a termination for the cabling<>speaker cable load but does not present the amplifier output with a fiat load impedance over frequency which is what it does if placed before the L. See Self and Cordell for more detail

Reactions: 1 users
Since all active devices are non-linear, there's no design deficiency involved, just clever design that improves performance of said devices.
This must be verified by practical tests into both R+L and R//C loads, of all possible values, including worst case electrostatic speakers, as well as with long cables. Simulation and/or testing with resistors is absolutely insufficient. I know very well what I am speaking about. Very high loopgain in combination with something like 3-pole compensation or 3EF output stages are always suspicious, regardless the perfect loopgain simulation with resistors.